Prior to the events of Octopath Traveler, Gustav joined Werner’s band of mercenaries, the Black Brotherhood. He and Gaston made friends with Erhardt, who acted as their mentor as they were new to the group. The group disbanded after the fall of Hornburg, and the mercenaries went their separate ways.
Gustav ended up in Victors Hollow, where he makes a name for himself as a fearsome new competitor in the arena. He faces off with Olberic in the finals, and upon losing to him, agrees to disclose Erhardt’s location and reason for vengeance.
After Olberic's story, he appears in The Whistlewood, vowing to repair his reputation.
Gustav will begin battle by increasing his actions per turn to 2. All of his weaknesses will be locked. Both Shield Warriors must be defeated before his weaknesses can be targeted.
- Level Slash: Physical attack, targets entire party.
- Cross Strike: Physical attack, single target.
- Triple Strike: Physical attack, single target. Three hits.
- Black Blade: Physical attack, single target. May inflict terror.
???? HP. Shield 5
- Charge: Physical attack, single target.
- Shield Bash: Physical attack, single target. Defense up for attacker for 2 turns.
- "I may be bested, but I be not defeated. The Black Knight will not see the name tarnished again." —Speaking to Gustav (The Whistlewood)
- "Take what you need." —Purchase
- "My arm is yours, should you have need of it." —Guide/Allure
- "Off I go." —Part Ways
- "I’ll give you a good fight!" —Challenge
- "Do you yield?" —Provoke
- "Such antics are the mark of a dullard!" —Failure